This report was prepared by the Advisory Group on Conduct Problems (AGCP) on the prevention, treatment and management of conduct problems in adolescence.The AGCP was established to provide advice to the Ministries of Social Development, Education and Health on improving the delivery of behavioural services in New Zealand.
This is the fourth report completed by this group, following the publication of the Conduct Problems: Best Practice report, Conduct Problems: Effective Services for 3-7 Year Olds report, and Effective Services for 8-12 Year Olds report. This report has a strong focus on making behavioural services more culturally responsive for Māori, and looks at how both ‘western science’ and ‘matauranga Māori’ knowledge sit beside each other in understanding and measuring successes of behavioural interventions.
This report will be of interest to policy makers and practitioners.
In particular the report:
- provides the latest international research on what are effective behavioural programmes for Adolescents.
- builds on the 3 previous published reports (on-line) by the AGCP (Best Practice, Effective Programmes for 3-7 Year Olds and Effective Programmes for 8-12 Year Olds reports)
- outlines key actions to ensure promising programmes and practices will work within different New Zealand settings (particularly for Māori), including research, monitoring, cultural and clinical competency and evaluation
- outlines a portfolio of behavioural programmes that could be introduced in New Zealand to support parts of the Youth Crime Action Plan and the Children’s Action Plan
- provides a common approach for both the health and education sectors and Child, Youth and Family in defining, treating and managing older children with conduct problemsprioritises the need to deliver behavioural services and support families earlyelaborates how kaupapa Māori principles, programmes and evaluation fit within the mix of service delivery and expansion of behavioural programmes to achieve whānau ora.
Please email us if you would like a copy of this document in a different format.